Wednesday, August 25, 2004

Meanderings...

There are days when I'm here at work and wonder how in the hell I ended up in this job. As many of you know, I work for an architect as the business manager. Or whatever. Call me what you will... I basically do everything except for the actual designing. But how, with a degree in anthropology, did I go from working three years for the State Archaeologist, to sitting behind a computer all day? I miss my life as a dig bum. I miss getting my hands dirty, curling silty loam between my thumb and index finger. I miss working outside, screening augers-full of soil for hidden riches in my bare hands so I can feel everything (including the chert shard that sliced my palm from heaven to hell). I miss the lab work, every last bit of it... including the pain-in-the-ass soil flotations. What I don't miss are the low wages, lack of benefits, the overly-competitive back-stabbing that went along with a lot of my fellow archies, and, at times, the utter lack of respect for some of the relics we would find. I could go on and on about the sheer stupidity of one of my bosses regarding some Black Sand pottery, but why bother? It's now just little sherds of unidentifiable crap.

Therefore, I should be thankful to be here. I'm paid very well for my services, enjoy good benefits, and when I wanted a new computer at home, my boss bought me a Dell Inspiron 600m laptop. Can I beat that? Probably not... at least not in this town. But something has been stirring in me, in my life. I'm bored. I love Iowa City, but there are days I think there is no way for me to grow beyond the limits of this fishbowl.

***

It's really dark here this morning. Stormy weather. Before the rain blew in, I sat outside on the back 'patio' and watched the little sparks of lightning, listened to the 'low tones of thunder' (Rumi), and smoked a cigarette. My boss is gone for the morning, it's quiet here. I like that a LOT. I can think about things in a different way. I can also get about twice the work done when he's not in the office (even including the time I'm spending to write this post).

***

I simply adore our public library. Adore it. I just finished reading 'The Da Vince Code' and am ever-thankful I didn't buy it. Right now, I'm reading a book called 'Spinsters' by Pagan Kennedy. My friend, Meg, knows Pagan and recommended the book last time we were together. I have to tell you, ladies, it's worth reading. When I'm done with it, I have 'The Talented Mr. Ripley' by Patricia Highsmith that Jason suggested I get. I love to read. I want to be in another book club. I'm not the type of reader that can get into the Ya-Ya's (though I DID read it). I love the Sue Grafton series, though that wouldn't make for serious book club dialogue. One of my favorite books of all time is 'Crime and Punishment'. I think I need to read (and/or re-read) a lot of the classics. Is anyone up for some 'online' type of bookclub? It doesn't have to be one particular genre. I'm actually pretty flexible in that area.

***

My dog is addicted to feminine products.

***

I still can't find the ring Twitch gave me. And why do I find that so funny?

***

I have some very good, very close friends. And I need to tell them how much I love and appreciate them.

***

Well, my little peepages, 'tis time for me to get my ass back to work. Ho-hum. Hope this drivel wasn't too boring for you to read. I just couldn't bring myself to write something entirely cohesive.

Comments: Post a Comment

<< Home
Who dat snappin' back? |

This page is powered by Blogger. Isn't yours? 'Cuz it oughta be...