Wednesday, December 08, 2004

Comfortably damned.

'Tis the season, eh? A month and a half of festivities, hedonism and excess. Woo-hoo! Who would argue with that out of a nation of fat, lazy Americans? (No offense to any of you flesh-deficient folk). But seriously, I know I'm not alone when I say just how very much I DREAD this time of year. It's not that I don't like to eat or drink or be merry, but for chrissakes, do we NEED a 'special' time of the year in which to do it? I think not. Oh, and my apologies for skating right over the "true" meaning of Christmas, but the religious aspect of it really doesn't ring as true for me as the fact that I am simply exchanging debt with my family. Bah humbug!

A friend of mine is in Arizona for three weeks (work related, so don't be too jealous), and e-mailed me the other day asking how things were. My sarcastic response was "Along with The Tedious Minutae, relationships gone sour, the Christmas/debt conundrum, that darn fly in my soup, and mitochondrial DNA, I'm dealing with the same old crap, different ribbon." See, yesterday I was feelin' a little blue. But today, I'm feelin' not so blue. Heck, tomorrow I might feel ok, and if it keeps on this upward spiral, I just might feel pretty good by Sunday, only to face the whole damn week starting all over again.

So this started me thinking on the spiral of life, and I came to the conclusion that I am like one of Escher's ants on a Mobius strip. Y'know? Just plodding along day after day, year after year, doing the same old thing. But then I got to wonderin': is that really so bad? My life doesn't exactly suck. It may not be absolutely thrilling or exciting all the time, but I've had many a happy moment. I've done some things in my life that I'm really proud to have accomplished. Remember the old Chinese curse "May your life be interesting"? Well, my life has had its times of just that. So maybe I should look at my "same old crap, different ribbon" life and be thankful to be comfortably damned.

Happy Holidays!!! (Whether I mean it or not... heh heh...)

Comments: Post a Comment

<< Home
Who dat snappin' back? |

This page is powered by Blogger. Isn't yours? 'Cuz it oughta be...