Wednesday, December 01, 2004

Rock-a-bye...

I find, living as I do over the bar in which I work, that the jukebox tends to be the bane of my existence. Songs by Greg Brown thump away into the night and make the glass rattle and hum in my bedroom windows. Nondescript bands with nuthin' to say, backed by an overdone bass line, disturb my dreams and whatever peace and quiet I attempt to glom onto between songs night after night.

Last night was no different. I was lying in bed reading 'The Bone People' by Keri Hulme. I was trying to envision the solitude of Kerewin's tower, but the jukebox had other plans. So I switched over to that wildly-popular-with-single-women book, 'He's Just Not That Into You'. (Yeah, yeah... don't give me any shit. At least I'm trying to understand the opposite sex, which is a hell of a lot more than I can say for some of the boneheads I've dated.)

After about an hour of trite advice (which I evidently NEED to read), the ol' lids were startin' to get a little droopy. After I turned out the light, I just remained on my back, eyes open... you know, kinda mulling things over. 'Passionate Kisses' by Mary Chapin Carpenter was playing downstairs. As it was winding down, I thought to myself, "It's about time to drift off... why hasn't 'The Weight' played yet?"

"I pulled into Nazareth, was feelin' 'bout half past dead..." **DINK** It played next. Don't know why, but a large percentage of time, this is the song that puts me to sleep at night. And it came to me just when I needed it.

Unfortunately, about three hours later, I awoke. I didn't open my eyes right away as I was trying to ascertain what it was that had wrested me from my deep slumber. Nope, wasn't having a nightmare. In fact, it was a great dream... I was right in the middle of it... damn, what was it?... Hmm... Nope, I don't hear any critters whining or complaining or pawing on the door. There's no car parked in the lot outside my bedroom with muffled yet audible hip hop playing. And then I heard it... the unmistakable sound of the bar's front door shutting with a whump! as the bartender left for the night.

This is a first for me -- the QUIET woke me up. When I move (**fingers crossed... please let it be soon, please let it be soon...**), I'm going to have to recondition myself to sleep. I'm also going to need to purchase a CD by The Band.

Comments: Post a Comment

<< Home
Who dat snappin' back? |

This page is powered by Blogger. Isn't yours? 'Cuz it oughta be...