Friday, February 18, 2005

Loverly...

It's Friday. Cake day. And I'm actually happy to be sitting at my desk. The sun is shining, the SueBee honey bear jar is smiling at me and my green tea is steeping. The addenda are done, gone, outta here. John is in a good mood.

A few days ago it was overcast and dreary. John and I were running around 'herding cats' and being rudely curt to one another. I was feeling really low all day. Not depressed exactly... but not entirely grateful to be sucking air, either. Today is different. I am superlatively, extraordinarily HAPPY.

Tomorrow morning my friend, Sue, and I start our volunteering gig at a local organization that procures food from a variety of local businesses and distributes it throughout the community to other organizations. We went through the orientation yesterday over our lunch hours, and by the time we left, I was feeling... (??how you say??)... PLEASED with myself.

Now, lest anyone think what selfless creatures we are for volunteering our time to a good cause, let me set you straight. We are getting something out of doing this. Yes, yes... I know we're helping people, contributing to the community, etc. etc. But the true motivation is to get free tickets to see Guster play in April. Yes, we are that shallow. However, I'm hoping to find that I like volunteering for this organization and will continue to do so even after I have put in enough time for that free ticket. What's one or two times a month, after all?

This is a good time for me to sit back and proselytize about the joys of volunteering (yes, I have done it before), but y'know what? How rude would that be? It's a beautiful sunny Friday, and I'm going to kick back, listen to an NPR 'Fresh Air' interview Terry Gross conducted with Stephen Colbert last month, drink my tea and revel in the fact that life. is. good. Hope everyone has a fantabulous weekend!

Comments: Post a Comment

<< Home
Who dat snappin' back? |

This page is powered by Blogger. Isn't yours? 'Cuz it oughta be...