Monday, April 04, 2005

Book Quiz via The Hissy One

You're stuck inside Fahrenheit 451, which book do you want to be? Is there a fireproof one? Ok, now here is where I admit I've never read it. I know, I know... but I'm not a big Bradbury fan, much less science fiction. Or is that: not a big science fiction fan, much less Ray Bradbury? Whatever. Sue me.

Have you ever had a crush on a fictional character? You bet. I was in love with Boo Radley from To Kill a Mockingbird. Ok, kidding... it was Atticus all the way.

The last book you bought: Very rarely do I purchase one book at a time. I think about them constantly... obsessively... and grow a personal library in my 'shopping cart' at Amazon. The last book splurge included:
Jonathan Strange & Mr. Norrell: A Novel by Susanna Clarke
Gilead: A Novel by Marilynne Robinson
Holographic Universe by Michael Talbot
The Kite Runner by Khaled Hosseini
The Known World by Edward P. Jones
The Jane Austen Book Club by Karen Joy Fowler

The last book you read: Well, I usually have a few goin' on at the same time to cater to my moods. I've just finished Hard Laughter by Anne Lamott (thanks, Joe, for the loan!) and Skinny Dip by Carl Hiaasen (thanks to my stepdad for that one!). Currently starting on The Kite Runner and Gilead.

Five books you would take to a deserted island…and why? Yikes! That's a toughie...
Ok. FOR SURE the Oxford UNABRIDGED Dictionary, because that way I could start writing funny messages in the sand by stringing together archaic words... hours of fun that would be! To Kill a Mockingbird by Harper Lee because it's one of my all-time favorite reads, as well as The Phantom Tollbooth by Norton Juster (if anyone out there has not read this book at least once, GET TO IT!). I'd probably take Crime and Punishment by Dostoyevsky just because I really like it and I like the way my copy smells. One more... hmm... I suppose it'd be Infinite Jest by David Foster Wallace because after THREE attempts I've still not managed to sink my teeth into it. And heck, if I'm gonna be stuck on a damn deserted island, I might as well... besides, if it sucks, it's thick enough to make for some good kindling. No sir, this book shall not beat me...

Who are you going to pass this stick to (3 persons) and why? Gee whiz, I don't want to stick it to anybody, but of course I'm curious what y'all read. (Oh, and if anyone is interested, our online bookclub seems to be floundering a bit, but feel free to send me an e-mail if you want to join... or if you just want to comment, that's ok, too. It's the Roundtable Confessional and can be found under my linky linkertons).

Comments: Post a Comment

<< Home
Who dat snappin' back? |

This page is powered by Blogger. Isn't yours? 'Cuz it oughta be...